Want to buy used HVAC equipment? Here are some questions to ask
Buying heating and air conditioning online is a tricky business – particularly if you are buying from an online auction site or venturing into used HVAC equipment territory. There are many questions that you should ask before you settle on buying HVAC online. The most important question being “Is this really worth it?”
Keep these questions at the front on your mind when searching for used HVAC equipment online.
- Will this unit be covered by a warranty? When it comes to online heating and air conditioning systems, particularly used ones, quality can no longer be assured. Because of this, most HVAC manufacturers DO NOT cover HVAC equipment purchased online.
- Who will install the system? Again, because of product quality, most heating and air conditioning contractors will not install an HVAC system purchased online – at least not a reputable company.
- How should I handle DIY installation? DIY gas furnace or air conditioner installation is NEVER encouraged. HVAC equipment installation is a tricky business – you want to make sure that it is installed correctly. It can be both dangerous and costly to install your own air conditioner or gas furnace.
- Do I trust who I’m buying from?Again, it’s the internet. Do you always trust things you find on the internet? The person you are buying the equipment from could have less-than-honorable intentions.
- Do you trust the quality of the unit? If you aren’t buying through a professional, you can’t be sure that the equipment is in the best shape possible. Is it worth saving a few dollars now to turn around and have to pay for inefficient performance, and likely repairs, in the near future?
So, is it really worth it? We recommend always going through an HVAC contractor if you need a new HVAC system. This way, you can get the peace-of-mind that a new HVAC system should provide.