Do you know the right questions to ask your HVAC contractor?
Did you know that hiring your contractor can be even more important than finding a system? While it’s important to find the right system for your home, it’s not going to matter which system you choose if it’s installed incorrectly.
When it comes to your contractor… Ask for recommendations from friends and family. Check out online reviews. And, make sure that the person you hire is fully qualified to be working on your comfort system.
Once you have narrowed down your options, you have to make sure that you ask the right questions.
- If you have hot and cold spots in your home, ask about their multi-stage offerings.
- If you have pets, ask about reducing pet dander.
- If you have allergies, ask about allergy-reducing IAQ products.
- Ask about controlling humidity in your home.
- Ask if they have the appropriate permits, licenses, certifications, etc.
- Ask about room-by-room comfort control.
- Ask about reducing dust.
- Ask about high-efficiency heating systems (if you live in a place with cold winters) and high-efficiency cooling systems (if you live in a place with hot summers).
Remember, just because someone offers the lowest price, doesn’t mean you are getting the best deal. Oftentimes, running a reputable business will mean that a contractor has to charge more. That “too-good-to-be-true” deal will be just that… Avoid quotes over the phone and on the back of business cards. Avoid a contractor who does not do a proper load calculation to determine the size of your unit. Your heating and air conditioning system is an investment in your comfort – make it a smart one.
Did you make sure to ask some of these questions the last time you bought an HVAC system?