Do you need some heating and air conditioning help?
There’s no two ways about it, when your air conditioner isn’t working properly, you’re not going to be a happy camper. The temptation can be to shake your first at the sky, pick up a wrench and attempt to fix it yourself.
Drop that wrench!
It’s important to know when it is appropriate to do a minor HVAC-related task, and when it is time to call in the “big guns” – A.K.A. your local contractor.
These are minor fixes you can attempt before you call a contractor. Anything beyond this should be handled by a professional.
- Make sure the system is turned on at the breaker and the outlet.
- Make sure the thermostat is set to the appropriate model – heat or cool.
- Make sure the temperature is either above the temperature outdoors (if in heating mode) or below the temperature outdoors (if in cooling mode).
- Replace your furnace filter.
- Open your registers and vents.
When to turn off your equipment and call a contractor…
- There is visual damage to your outdoor or indoor equipment.
- Furnace is on but there is no warm air blowing from your vents.
- There is visual duct damage.
- You are in heating model, but cold air is blowing from your ducts.
- Air conditioner is on, making loud noises and the fan is not blowing.
- Your air conditioner or furnace is constantly running and not reaching temperature.
Basically, when it doubt, call a professional.