Drop that wrench! Here’s why we discourage DIY air conditioner maintenance.
There’s no two ways about it – heating and cooling your home can get expensive. While there are ways that you can cut down these expenses, DIY air conditioner maintenance, repairs or installs ARE NOT sound ways to cut back on costs. There’s a reason it takes training, licensing and a specific skill set to work on heating and air conditioning equipment. Here are some reasons why DIY air conditioner maintenance is not encouraged.
- Lose efficiency. At the end of the day, it’s all about potentially doing more harm than good. You could damage a part of your system and lose efficiency.
- Worsen the problem. How do you know that the part you are working on is actually causing the problem? Air conditioners are intricate systems – if you damage one part you could damage the entire system and end up having to buy a new one instead of just repairing the old one.
- Voided warranty. Even not properly maintaining your air conditioner, by calling a contractor, can void your warranty. If you fiddle with the interior components of your system, it can’t be determined whether the tinkering caused the issue or if it was a problem with the system.
- Lower lifespan. Maybe you do fix the problem for now. But, how do you know you didn’t damage something that is going to end up causing more problems sooner rather than later?
- It can be dangerous. You don’t want to touch the wrong wires together or put things together incorrectly. Like most things, messing with something you aren’t 100% familiar with can have devastating consequences. DO NOT RISK IT!
These are just a few of the many reasons why do-it-yourself maintenance can be tricky and dangerous. Trust me, DIY air conditioner maintenance is not worth the risk to your system, yourself or your family. Always contact your local contractor. They have the best training and experience needed to get the job done right the first time.