Beat the heat AND save money? That sounds like a good plan.
The summer heat may sometimes feel like it is burning a hole in your skin and your wallet. When temperatures soar upwards of 90°F, your air conditioner has to work double-time to keep your home cool. That means longer operating times, more energy used and higher utility bills!
Every little bit helps when it comes to savings. Here are some tricks that you can use to beat the summer heat AND lower your utility spending.
- Keep things consistent. It can be tempting to mess with the thermostat when temperatures soar. A few degrees here or there can’t HURT can they? Well, resist the temptation! Thermostats set at a cooler temperature don’t cool any faster. And changing the temperature on your thermostat will have it working overtime. Want savings without sacrificing comfort? Set the temperature a few degrees warmer and leave it there.
- Take advantage of ceiling fans. A ceiling fan can better mix the air in your home. Circulating the cool air is going to make the air less stagnant AND a cool breeze is always welcome on sweltering summer days.
- Have a hot south-facing room? Invest in some good blinds and curtains. Blocking out the sun can help lower the temperature of those rooms and help your air conditioner along. If it takes a shorter time for the room to reach temperature, the air conditioner won’t run as long.
- Use alternate cooking methods. Don’t underestimate the power of your oven to heat the kitchen up. Use a crockpot or the grill every once in awhile.
- Get a tune-up during spring. Preventative maintenance is the best way to make sure your unit is running at peak efficiency. Make sure you schedule this before the peak cooling season – when your contractor can come out sooner rather than later.
- Keep up with filter changes, get your ducts cleaned, plant at least two feet away from your condenser and have your condenser cleaned by a contractor. These are all ways that you can ensure that your air conditioner does not suffer from restricted airflow.
- When it’s time to replace your air conditioner…choose a high efficiency model! This is the best way to improve efficiency and maximize utility bill savings. Trust me, it’s an investment that you won’t regret.
Yes, those summer cooling bills can bring the heat to your budget. But, they don’t have to. What are your tricks for saving money during the summer?