Are you hiring a contractor to work on your HVAC equipment?
It’s fall preventative maintenance time! Are you looking around for a heating and cooling professional to work on your gas furnace? The most important part of any installation or service call is the very beginning – the hunt for a qualified HVAC professional. Are you doing the right things to make sure that the professional you hire is up to the job?
Here are the dos and don’ts of hiring an HVAC contractor.
- Get multiple bids if you are having new equipment installed.
- Ask them about their certifications and licenses.
- Ask if they’ve ever worked on your brand of HVAC equipment.
- Check online review sites to make sure they have a positive reputation with past clients.
- Ask your friends and neighbors whether they have used the contractor in the past
- Check to make sure they are professional when they arrive at your home.
- Ask tons of questions about the work being done to your equipment.
- Ask about your warranty if you are having new equipment installed – is it your responsibility to registers, or will your contractor do it for you?
- Review their Better Business Bureau listing.
- Go with the first contractor you find simply because they are the first contractor you found.
- Go with the lowest bidder unless you are certain they have a reputation for doing quality work.
- Assume they know what you expect out of a new HVAC system. Make your expectations clear.
- Forgo a contractor all together and fix your equipment by yourself.
- Forget to ask about a maintenance agreement.
Have you scheduled your fall preventive maintenance appointment yet?