Tricks for keeping cool in your home during the summer
Fall may be creeping closer and closer, but summer temperatures are still very much present. Has it been hotter than usual around your home this summer? There are a lot of things you can do around your home that can help keep things cool when temperatures soar.
Ultimately, you want your equipment to be running as efficiently as possible and operating smoothly. Here is a list of things you can do to make sure that you stay cool during the summer.
- Keep windows and doors closed
- Use blinds and curtains to block sunlight.
- Rearrange your furniture so that you aren’t blocking any vents or registers.
- Keep registers and vents open.
- Check to make sure your pets have not accidentally closed a vent while lying on it.
- Change your furnace filter regularly, particularly if you have pets.
- Shade your south-facing windows.
- Seal any air leaks around your windows and doors.
- Shade your air conditioning condenser (the box that sits outside).
- Have your ducts cleaned each year.
- Have preventable maintenance performed on your air conditioner each year.
Make sure you mark your 2017 calendar for a spring clean and check. It’s never too early to plan ahead!
If you think that your air conditioner is not performing to the best of its ability, contract your local heating and cooling contractor.
Do you do these things every year? What other tasks do you have for keeping cool during the summer?