How to stay safe in the summer heat
Earlier this week, we recommended stepping outside during the summer to make your air conditioner’s job easier. BUT, we wouldn’t say that if we didn’t also have tips for how to stay safe when enjoying the summer weather. There isn’t always going to be a pool nearby for a quick dunk. So, what should you do when you venture outside to enjoy the summer sunshine?
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Dehydration can be scary. It can lead to fatigue, fainting and even death (in the worst situations). So, make sure you are drinking plenty of water – particularly if you are participating in any high-energy activities. Even the pool!
- Stay cool in the shade. Whether it’s investing in a nice patio umbrella or planting a tree – the key to staying cool in your own backyard is taking advantage of the shade.
- Apply, and reapply, sunscreen. While this won’t necessarily keep you cooler, this is the best way to keep your skin as healthy as possible. Make sure you use SPF 30 or more, make sure it isn’t expired and reapply every two hours (or 30 minutes if you are swimming or being active).
- Invest in an outdoor fan. Maybe it will just be circulating the warmer air, but there’s nothing nicer than a breeze on a warm summer day.
- Lighting a fire? Make sure you keep things safe. Store the kindling away from the flame, and keep pets and children away from it – be it a grill or a pit.
Ultimately, spending some time outdoors can really help you save money on cooling costs, but if it is just too hot it’s best to stay inside and enjoy that air conditioner. When you are outside, keep a smart head on your shoulders and do things to make sure that you stay safe in the heat. If you’re looking for more tips, check out this heat safety article from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
So, what’s your biggest tip for staying cool during the summer heat?