Do you know what new air conditioners offer that old air conditioners don’t?
Many industries have taken extraordinary technological leaps and bounds over the past few decades. The heating and air conditioning industry is no different. Buying a new air conditioner or gas furnace isn’t something you do every day. The old unit in your home could be 10 to 20 years old! Heck, you may not have even purchased an air conditioner before. Not only could you be paying more for cool air if you have an old system, your home may not be as comfortable.
Here are some technological advances that make a new air conditioner so much better than older models.
- Smart thermostats. Okay, you don’t necessarily need a new air conditioner to have a smart thermostat, but you won’t be getting all the benefits that a smart thermostat offers. It’s like getting expensive rims for an old beater car.
- Modulating technology. Some of the most efficient air conditioners use modulation technology. These air conditioners reach staggering levels of efficiency, maintain more even temperatures and save you money on monthly utility expenses.
- Multiple stages of operation. However, you don’t have to invest in a modulating system to enjoy high-efficiency performance. Many models operate in more than one stage of operation. This also improves energy-efficiency and increases home comfort.
- Eco-friendly refrigerant. The type of refrigerant used in heating and cooling systems has changed over the years. Today, the industry standard is R-410A refrigerant. Your older system may use R-22 – a refrigerant that has been phased out. As we get further and further away from the phase-out date, this refrigerant is going to become more and more expensive as supply dwindles.
- Variable-speed air distribution. Variable-speed technology increases home comfort. The unit will be able to vary air distribution speeds to improve home comfort and maintain more even temperatures throughout your home.
The air conditioner in your home may have been “cutting-edge” in its day, but time moves on. Remember, even a new. standard-efficiency air conditioner can be a significant improvement over efficient systems from 10 or 15 years ago. Make sure you talk to your contractor about your cooling system options.
Are you considering a new air conditioner?
It was helpful to learn about the different types of system that exist. I think this makes a great point about the advantages of newer air conditioning systems. It was interesting to learn how you don’t have to invest in a modulating system to enjoy a high-efficiency performance.
Great article! I learned a lot about HVAC systems reading this. The importance of high efficiency systems is awesome!