How to get your home ready for Thanksgiving dinner
Maybe you drew the short straw? Maybe you enjoy doing it? Whatever the reason may be, you find yourself stuck prepping, cooking and hosting Thanksgiving dinner. For some people, this may be a piece of cake, while others may see this as an incredibly daunting task. Either way, we have some tips that can help you prepare your home for a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Here are our Thanksgiving dinner preparation tips:
- Plan ahead. Set a menu and talk to your family about pot-lucking the meal. It can be a daunting task to cook for 12 people; lighten the load by planning ahead.
- Keep things indoors. Setup indoor activities for children and designate areas for adults to be during the day. While we don’t want to discourage you from a game of flag football outside, it is best that people aren’t constantly going in and out of the house. You don’t want people going in and out of the house and letting your warm air out into the cold Thanksgiving day.
- Change your filter. You and your family can breathe easier with a brand-new furnace filter. If you haven’t changed your filter in a while, it can be a good idea to change it before the big day. This will make your furnace’s job easier and it can make your home smell fresher.
- Adjusting the thermostat. While the financial burden may be partially on you to host Thanksgiving dinner, you may actually be able to save some money on the big day. You can actually turn down the thermostat on Thanksgiving day. This is because you will most likely have more people in your home and an oven working constantly. This will naturally bring up the temperature of your home without the assistance of your furnace.
- And of course… wear stretchy pants for lounging afterwards. (Optional but highly encouraged! 🙂 )
So, how do you run Thanksgiving dinner at your house? What other tips do you have?