Ready, set, go! Start your search for a new air conditioner here.
If you started looking around for a new air conditioner you’re already aware that it is a huge financial commitment. You’re probably also aware that there is a lot of information out there about which system is best. Here are some things you should know before you settle on the brand new air conditioner for your home.
- Start with your contractor. Finding the right contractor is the most important part of the search. Read online reviews, get recommendations from friends and family, and find a contractor who is going to do the job right the first time. Be warned…you may have to shell out a little more dough, but you won’t regret it.
- Heat pump or air conditioner? Well, it depends on where you live. For some people, a heat pump may be all they need; for others, they could get by with only an air conditioner. And, for OTHERS a combination of one of these systems could get the job done year round. This is one of the areas where your contractor will be able to help you.
- Efficiency matters. Always. Always. Always! Invest in the most efficient air conditioner you can afford. If you are upgrading from an old system you can see significant savings with a high-efficiency air conditioner.
- Size matters. Make sure your contractor does a Manual J load calculation to make sure you are getting the right size unit. Air conditioners that are too small or too large will never cool your home properly.
- Maintain that new system! For warranty protection (and continued high performance levels) maintaining your air conditioner is critical. Schedule maintenance each spring to make sure your air conditioner stays in top-top shape.
Of course, there are other things that you should take into consideration when buying a new unit. A quality contractor can answer most of your questions. Where do you start your new HVAC equipment search?